Don’t underestimate the importance of your RV’s windshield. More than just a barrier against bugs and other airborne objects, the windshield is an integral part of the safety system on many rigs. A well-sealed windshield also makes your home-on-wheels more comfortable in different climates
Your windshield faces a multitude of hazards on every trip. Use these tips to maintain the integrity of your motorhome and avoid the need for professional RV windshield repair.
Keep a Clear Path
These tips are aimed at preventing damage to your windshield. Whether you drive a comfy Class B or an customized Class A, these simple steps will help you stop scratches, dents, lines, and holes before they start.
• Clean your windshield often. Grimy build-up forms a natural adhesive that collects tiny shards of rock as you drive. When you turn on your wipers, rough material rubs against the glass, causing microabrasions that, over time, can compromise the clarity of the glass. Small collections of scratches block vital viewpoints and make it more difficult to safely maneuver your rig.
• Speaking of wipers, be sure to replace your windshield wipers at least once every 2 years. Even if your RV is sitting in storage most of the year, your wipers may still fall victim to dampness and high temperatures. Damaged rubber can break off in chunks, forming jagged edges that scrape across your glass with each stroke.
• Watch the weather forecast. Before high winds and hail storms descend, find a covered place to park your RV. If you can’t get your vehicle inside of a shelter, use a tarp to cover the windshield and side glass. Avoid traveling in severe weather to reduce the chance of dents and dings.
Patch It Up
Despite your best efforts, your windshield is bound to sustain some damage. A quick RV windshield repair job restores your glass to pristine condition. However, if you can’t make it to a shop right away, these tips will help you hold it all together until you can get to a mechanic.
• A broken side window doesn’t have to end your adventure. Since these usually aren’t needed for safe navigation, you can cover them with a piece of thick plastic to seal out incoming air. Another option is to use shower curtain suction cups to secure a cloth over the open hole.
• If you find yourself in a remote location with a broken windshield, you can make it safe enough for a careful drive to the nearest helping hand. Carefully remove all the jagged pieces of broken glass with gloved hands. Use a vacuum to gather up fine glass dust from the upholstery. Then, stretch a thick piece of clear plastic across the hole. Secure it to the frame with heavy packing tape. This temporary fix should hold for a few miles of gentle driving.
• For the more technically inclined, you could try to replace the windshield yourself. Some auto shops sell precut glass with a stick-on adhesive already applied. Be sure to thoroughly remove any glass and old adhesive from the frame before applying the new glass to ensure a clean seal. Be aware that you could have a tough time finding the right fit for your rig.
RV Windshield Repair from Horizon Auto Glass and Tint
Don’t risk the safety and comfort of your passengers to shoddy work and subpar parts. Bring your damaged glass to Horizon Auto Glass and Tint in the Rio Rancho area. Our RV windshield repair services make getting your glass fixed easier than ever.
• Sudden accidents don’t have to jeopardize your fun. Call us to your location within 30 miles of Albuquerque and we’ll complete your RV windshield repairs right on the spot at no extra charge. If you’re a little further out, we’ll still send help for a small additional fee.
• Not sure if your insurance will cover the damage? We’ll work with your company to file the paperwork, gain the right authorizations, and collect payments on your behalf.
• Has an accident or catastrophic damage rendered your windshield beyond repair? We can replace your RV’s windshield with authentic OEM parts. Windshield replacements are also offered as part of our mobile services.
• Even if your windshield works just fine, Horizon Auto Glass and Tint can make it better! Bring your rig in for a customized tint job to protect your eyes from the glaring New Mexico sun while you explore.
Horizon Auto Glass and Tint proudly serves the citizens of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. Let us know how we can make your next vacation more comfortable with our auto glass services.