Dips, pits, cracks, and fine lines on your motorhome’s windshield and glass are a huge safety hazard. However, they don’t always mean you need a full replacement. Does your damaged glass really need a full replacement? What are some techniques to cope with damaged auto glass and possibly avoid a motorhome windshield replacement?
Assessing the Damage
The damage on your windshield might look scary. However, a skilled technician can work wonders on a variety of disfigurements. Take a closer look at the damage to your auto glass. If you see these signs, you may be facing a full motorhome windshield replacement.
• In a hailstorm, a stone hit your windshield, causing a small dent with spider leg-like veins extending outward from the center. If the dent itself is bigger than a quarter, don’t risk driving your vehicle until you see a specialist.
• For shallower damage, use the dollar bill method. If the entirety of the damage can be covered by a single dollar bill, you’re probably safe to keep driving for a while longer. If it extends out further, take precautions to prevent the hole from widening even further.
• Scattered damage, even if it’s just a series of small chips and light scratches, usually merits a full replacement. These tiny imperfections increase the chance of shatter damage from impacts.
• Deep scars on your auto glass always need professional treatment. Anything more than 1/4-inch-deep means you’ll need to install new glass.
Any damage that obscures the driver’s vision needs to be addressed right away. Even smaller dents and cracks could mean a full motorhome windshield replacement if it compromises the driver’s ability to safely conduct the vehicle. Patching up this area does cover up the cracks. However, most patching methods also leave noticeable variations in the auto glass that could themselves become a hazard. In these cases, a full replacement is the best option.
Dealing with Damaged Auto Glass
There are many reasons why you can’t always take your car directly to the auto shop for windshield repairs.
• Limited time.
• Limited funds.
• Previous obligations.
If you need to extend the time until your motorhome windshield replacement, these tips will help you keep your passengers relatively safe and comfortable.
• Do not drive vehicles that have sustained massive damage.
• Remove any bits of broken glass from the seats, upholstery, and other surfaces. Use a high-powered vacuum to ensure you get all the bits of microscopic debris that can become airborne while the vehicle is in motion. Run a moist cloth over hard surfaces to get up every tiny shard.
• In the case of a large break, carefully remove any glass that’s left sticking to the frame. Wear thick rubber gloves to protect your hands from nasty cuts and goggles to defend yourself from flying shards.
• Clear plastic makes a great temporary patch. It won’t hold long, especially in larger motorhomes. However, a plastic sheet makes short rides far more comfortable. While this is not a good solution for the front or rear windshield, it will if your side glass is broken.
These quick-fix solutions will give you enough time to make it to the mechanic without too much hassle or discomfort.
Convenient Motorhome Windshield Replacement Services in New Mexico
Getting your auto glass professionally serviced at the first sign of damage is the best strategy. Horizon Auto Glass and Tint takes all stress out your motorhome windshield replacement. We offer services that make all of your windshield-related problems less important.
• Short on cash? Get your insurance to pay for it! Our representatives will walk you through the claims process, provide all the necessary information, and get started the moment we receive authorization from your insurer. When the repairs are done, we send the bill right to your insurance company.
• Don’t have time for the drive to our Albuquerque location? Take advantage of our mobile repair services. We’ll come to your location and quickly repair or replace your compromised glass. If you’re within 30 miles of Albuquerque, there’s no extra charge.
• Do your other windows need some attention too? Horizon Auto Glass and Tint is a full-service auto glass shop. We can work on your windshields and windows, tint your glass, and repair small rock chips while you wait.
Our service and parts are of such high quality, we proudly cover them with an extensive warranty. When you need a motorhome windshield replacement, bring your vehicle to Horizon Auto Glass and Tint.